I'm hooked on sharing sugary delights... I have two pages on facebook

For the whole wide world of English speakers out there, native and otherwise, I also have a Facebook page appropriately titled
top of the world cakes. Find me there, if you dare :)

And for those lucky few of you out there who understand Icelandic (I'm not joking there are only about 300.000 people in the whole Icelandic nation) I have an Icelandic Facebook page, just look for veislu kökur http://www.facebook.com/veislukokur

24 January, 2013

Back in baking action - Simple marshmallow fondant

Hello everyone
The last few weeks have been very busy to say the least...

But now I'm back and I'm trying out new things in the kitchen like never before, seriously, I've never before had the good sense to keep the camera in the kitchen with me at all times, but now that it's found it's new home it's up to me to use it wisely.
After all, with great pixels comes great responsibility.

Unfortunately I didn't always have the power of the photograph at my side so I have some "must have" recipes which I want to share but I will have to add more pictures later. It's not like I make some of this stuff every day... unfortunately.
Anyway

I thought I'd share something I think people google a lot :)

For the baking beginner and the brightest stars alike :)

I cannot stress enough how sticky everything will unavoidably get, but that should not stop you... after all...
It's only sugar
 

Marshmallow Fondant

You will need:

1. bag of marshmallows (between 25-30 pieces)
2-3 tbsp water
lots of powdered sugar - confectioners sugar - (at least 750 gr)
vegetable shortening (for the grease, here it's called Palmin)
microwave oven
big bowl, one that doesn't absorb the heat in the microwave
big spoon

Grease the bowl and spoon thoroughly.
Add marshmallows to bowl.
Give it 30 sec in the microwave, stir... and another 30sec.
Add water... stir.

Note:
(depending on the power of the microwave maybe you need another minute or two)


The marshmallows should be really fluffy and starting to puff up at this point, melted on the inside...
Then add the sugar... don't be hasty... add the powdered sugar bit by bit (may want to use a sieve, less risk of getting the fondant all lumpy)

Your basic marshmallow fondant is now taking shape (or not since it's probably just a big sticky mess)

If you want to add color, now is a good time...

Or
I like to make a lot of white marshmallow fondant first and knead in the color later, that way I'm not committed to a specific color.

Keep stirring in the sugar
BEWARE it will be extremely sticky and will go everywhere, that's why you want to grease everything up, including your hands.


When it gets thicker grease up a table top and knead in more sugar until you can touch it without it sticking to you.


You should end up with a thick white lump that you can roll out.
Keep the powdered sugar at hand while you work with it, you can add more if you think you need it.




If you don't use all your marshmallow fondant right away wrap it in plastic... It will keep good for up to a month in the fridge.

hope it works out well :)













I made this Bob the Builder with that marshmallow fondant recipe.
I think it worked out nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment