I'm hooked on sharing sugary delights... I have two pages on facebook

For the whole wide world of English speakers out there, native and otherwise, I also have a Facebook page appropriately titled
top of the world cakes. Find me there, if you dare :)

And for those lucky few of you out there who understand Icelandic (I'm not joking there are only about 300.000 people in the whole Icelandic nation) I have an Icelandic Facebook page, just look for veislu kökur http://www.facebook.com/veislukokur

03 January, 2013

Carrot ? Cake... with chocolate trees

First up...
My Early Winter Nights cake.



Here we go ... (and you just sort of have ti imagine the sound track from Super Mario Bros playing... dum, dum, dum , durrrum, durrum, durrum, durrumm durrummm dumm dumm dumm)

You will need...
2 eggs
180 gr. sugar
150 gr flower
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp milk
100 ml. oil
4 shredded carrots
50 gr dried apples (you can use fresh apples but I like the chewy texture of the dried ones.)
50 gr chopped hazelnuts

one oven heated to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit or there about)
one mixer
one spatula
two baking tins (mine are round 22cm in diameter)
baking parchment (that's posh for paper)

You will then:
1. Beat together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is nice and light and fluffy, about 5 min. in an electric mixer at medium to high speeds, depending on how dangerously you want to live. (meanwhile you could peel the carrots, shred them and chop the dried apples, it's just a suggestion you don't have to... I mean there's no law) You could do the mixing by hand but if you do it's gonna be hurting tomorrow.

2. Add the cinnamon, baking soda and powder to the mix and stir together, just a little bit... be gentle. Then the oil and milk and now you should have some brownish- orangy looking goo. DON'T PANIC.

3. Stop using the electric mixer and add the flower bit by bit mixing it gently, try folding it in with a spatula. You don't want to beat the air out of the mixture with too much force because you want to make the cake nice and fluffy don't you?... yes you do, I know because I read minds.

4. Then you dump in the carrots (which by this point should be peeled and shredded), the apples (which should be chopped to little bitty bits) and the hazelnuts (which you should have bought pre-chopped, if not... well I guess the whole thing is ruined then isn't it?)

5. Now 
I like to keep my baking tins clean by lining them with the paper... but it's your mess, you can opt out and just smear them with butter and dust them with flower. (if you have no idea what I'm talking about let me know, but I will be adding this little tip in the "hint's and help" section sometime later)
Pour the mix into the tins dividing it evenly between them... no favorites, it will get you nowhere.

6. Oven... 20-25 min or until it's nice and golden on the outside and the edges are firming up. Test it by stabbing it with a little prick, it should come out clean... or knife. (I use a knitting needle, it's the only thing they're good for... just an opinion)

7. Let it cool down... give it time, it should be very soft and fluffy.

8. Do you want to put cream on it?

You will need

200 gr Mascarpone cheese (it's white and really creamy. You could spread it on bread but then you might as well soak the bread in double cream.)
180 grams powdered sugar (fluffy white stuff)
1 tbsp butter, really really soft... like leave-it-on-the-table-for-a-long-time soft.
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp Maple syrup

Put in a bowl and mix until smooth.
You may want to taste it and see if it needs some more vanilla or maple syrup (or just because you want an excuse to eat nothing but the topping.)

9. Spread over the cake once it has fully cooled down or the cream will melt into the cake. (I'm warning you... I mean it.)


Enjoy
And remember to lick the bowl clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment