I'm hooked on sharing sugary delights... I have two pages on facebook

For the whole wide world of English speakers out there, native and otherwise, I also have a Facebook page appropriately titled
top of the world cakes. Find me there, if you dare :)

And for those lucky few of you out there who understand Icelandic (I'm not joking there are only about 300.000 people in the whole Icelandic nation) I have an Icelandic Facebook page, just look for veislu kökur http://www.facebook.com/veislukokur

16 December, 2012

The Boot took 1st prize- off to make Leaf Bread

One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you...

I'm really really pleased that my gingerbread boot construction was picked.

I know it's a fyzzy wuzzy little picture but I don't care, you can clearly see that it's nr ONE.
All right,
enough with the bragging

I'm off to make some "Leaf bread" or Laufabrauð, another Icelandic Christmas tradition born of a time of great poverty and rationing of foods.
Actually.
The flower was in such short supply over the winter months that people didn't want to "waste" it by baking normal bread over the holidays. The very clever women of Icelands murky past developed a way to make the rations last longer and get a bit of decoration done at the same time.
The Leaf Bread is waifer thin, hand decorated, deep fried flaky bread that is traditionally buttered up and et over the holidays.
I'll be posting some pictures later and a recipy from my mother-in-law who is an inspiration in so many kitchen connected ways, she knows tradition bacwards and forwards.

Untill then... keep the sugar sweet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment